Soft, delicious, the creamiest cheese you could possibly make. Best Vegan Cream Cheese is perfect on breakfast bagels and as a base of sandwich.
‘Cheese!’ – that’s usually the answer when you ask vegans what food they miss most.
For me that was white cheese. Until I realized how easily I can make it at home. Once you learn how simple making best Vegan Cream Cheese is, you will never buy overpriced bread spread again.
Why you will love Best Vegan Cream Cheese recipe?
- suuuper creamy texture
- great in both savory and sweet recipes
- way cheaper than vegan cheese from the store
- nut-free and dairy-free
- you can use cottage cheese, that is a base of this recipe in many other dishes
The creamiest Vegan Cream Cheese you can make.
There are many variants of vegan cream cheese. We can make it using tofu, cashew nuts or even sunflower seeds as a base. This is by far my most favorite recipe.
First of all you only need few ingredients and all of them are easily accessible. Secondly, the process is similar to making the regular cream cheese, thus the taste is so similar without foreign aftertaste or nuts.
Lastly, the way this cream cheese is made ensures it is extra creamy, without the risk of having lumps. You won’t even need powerful food processor.
Best Vegan Cream CheeseCourse: BreakfastCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
- BASE COTTAGE CHEESE
1 liter (1/4 gallon) unsweetened soy milk
4 tbsp lemon juice
- REST OF INGREDIENTS
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, but recommended)
1-2 tbsp vegan cream (optional)
- Using soy milk and lemon juice make Best Vegan Cottage Cheese following this recipe. This is your base.
- To make sure your cheese is creamy, not watery, make sure you press the cottage cheese really good.
- Place cottage cheese, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast and vegan cream in S-shaped blender (or food processor). I usually start with 0.5 tsp salt and 1tbsp lemon juice, try in the middle of blending and add more if needed.
If you don’t have such blender you can put everything in a bowl and blend it with hand blender. It might take a bit more time.
- Blend everything for about 2 minutes stopping 2-3 times to scrape down whatever remains on the sides of the blender. Check and adjust seasoning. When your cheese is super smooth – it is ready.
- Put your cream cheese in an air tight container. Now you can stir in spring onion, dill, chopped radishes or whatever makes you happy.
You can safely store it in the fridge for 5 days, but usually it disappears much sooner.
- The recipe above is for basic savory version of cream cheese. If you want a flavored version add whatever you want (for example garlic) into the blender with all ingredients.
- Skip salt and nutritional yeast and add some sugar for a sweet version of cream vegan cheese.
Want more vegan goodness?
Sign up for a new recipe newsletter !
ADDITIONS FOR SAVORY CHEESE
If you want flavored version of vegan cream cheese, before mixing the ingredients add one of below:
- 2 sundried tomatoes and Italian herbs
- garlic and your favorite herbs
- pitted and chopped olives + oregano
ADDITIONS FOR SWEET CHEESE
- 1 tbsp sugar and 1 apricot
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup and chopped nuts
Best Vegan Cream Cheese tastes amazing with:
Questions About Best Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe
You can make this cream cheese using only Vegan Cottage Cheese, lemon juice and salt if you don’t have nutritional yeast and vegan cream at hand.
Vegan Cream helps in getting this smooth texture. If you don’t have it, add pinch of baking soda together with all ingredients before mixing. It will react with lemon juice and make your cream cheese more fluffy and delicate.
Nutritional yeasts add cheesy flavor and help in getting rid of soy taste (if there is any, that depends on the milk you used). It’s not easy to find substitute for them. I strongly recommend you look them up in your health store or good supermarket. There are so many plant based recipes you can use them in.
OTHER PLANT BASED MILK
I get this question a lot – Can I use other plant based milk?
Soy milk contains more proteins compared to other plant based milks. That’s why curdling process works so well with soy milk.
The milk I used had around 3g protein per 100ml (3.38 oz). If you find plant based milk with similar content you can try and make this vegan cream cheese. I already tried popular milks like almond and oat, and unfortunately they DO NOT work in this recipe.
I will update this post if I find another milk that works well here.
DO I NEED A FOOD PROCESSOR TO MAKE BEST VEGAN CREAM CHEESE?
You can make this Vegan Cream Cheese even if you don’t have a strong food processor. The base of this recipe – Best Vegan Cottage Cheese is so delicate and soft you can easily make it creamy. You can use hand blender, smoothie maker or even, with enough determination, fork.