Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bars are perfect snack to take to work or school.
Bananas and peanut butter are actually my favorite smoothie combination. What if we put them together in a healthy snack that is easy to take with you anywhere?
If you’re looking for healthy snack or a quick breakfast you can eat on-the-go those bars are just perfect idea.
Why you need to try this Chocolate Chip Banana Bars?
- great pre or post workout snack
- so much cheaper than store bought bars
- they are great solution to use overripe bananas
- they are: egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free
- they store very well in air-tight container, so you can prepare bigger batch
I like and eat bananas, peanut butter and oats quite often and in many forms. Those bars are my favorite on-the-go snack.
Chocolate Chip Banana BarsCourse: Snacks, BreakfastCuisine: veganDifficulty: Easy
Texture of those bars is rather soft, if you want them crispy outside keep them 5 minutes longer in the oven.
4 medium very ripe bananas
1.5 cups rolled oats
2 heaped tbsp peanut butter
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 tsp baking soda
maple syrup / agave syrup (2 tbsp)
pinch of coarse salt
- Peel bananas, put them in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add peanut butter, soda and syrup, if using any. Mix with a fork until more or less combined.
- Add your chocolate chips and mix them in so they get evenly distributed. Now it’s time for oats. Mix them in so all the ingredients combine.
- Place your dough in a tray lined with baking paper. Press it down and even the surface using spoon or spatula.
You can put some nuts or additional chocolate chips on top and press them a little into the dough.
- Bake in 200°C / 390°F for 20-25minutes. Wait for everything to cool down and cut your bars.
- Sweetener or no sweetener? I didn’t use any syrup preparing those Chocolate Chip Banana Bars. First of all my bananas were super ripe thus very sweet. Moreover I wanted healthy snack I could eat after my workout. If you prefer you bars to be more of a dessert, go ahead and add 2 tsp of maple of agave syrup. You may want to add a bit more oats to get the texture right.
If you like you can add more goodness into your chocolate chip banana bars to make them even more interesting:
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup raisins or cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (like pecan, walnuts, hazelnuts)
I am sure you will also like those recipes with oats and overripe bananas:
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Banana Bars recipe
BANANAS – choose the bananas with really browned skin. They will be very sweet and will be easy to mash with the fork.
OATS – any type or brand of oats will do. Whole oats will result in more crunchy, harder bars, while using rolled or instant oats will give softer texture.
PEANUT BUTTER – you can use smooth or crunchy peanut butter. Best type is the one with 100% peanuts in ingredients list (no additional oils added). If you are allergic to peanuts use almond or cashew butter.