Smooth, delicately sweet and super healthy – creamy beet soup will quickly become one of your favorite cream soups.
I always post tried-and-true recipes, but this cream soup was surprise even for me. I tried few versions of creamy beet soup before, but this one is by far the best.
Not to mention it’s a real superhero when it comes to nutritious aspects.
Why this Creamy Beet Soup is so great?
- beautiful! who can resist this color?
- very healthy thanks to superfoods: beets and sweet potato
- sweet and refreshing
- easy to prepare
- soooo creamy
- hearty and filling
- kid friendly – they will love the color and lightly sweet taste
Key Ingredients in Creamy Beet Soup
We would probably need the whole separate post to mention all benefits of eating beetroots. They not only have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, they can also boost your energy level. What better ingredient for those who want to stay fit and healthy?
Why do we bake beetroots instead of cooking them together with carrot and sweet potato? Because baked beetroots becomes silky and sweet. Seriously, if you have never baked beetroots before you are in for some great culinary discovery.
Bake few more than required in the recipe. And add them to vegan feta, beetroot and arugula salad. Or make a delicious beetroot hummus.
I was wondering how to make creamy beet soup more creamy and one day I just happened to have sweet potato at hand. And that was a great choice. Sweet potato adds not only delicate taste and creaminess, it’s a superfood on its own.
Here’s more on all the health benefits of sweet potato, for now all we need to know is that it’s good for your immune system , brain, guts and….. oh so tasty !
Did you know that the same compound that is responsible for strong smell in garlic is also super healthy? It improves our immunity and supports heart and brain. Don’t worry about the amount of garlic used in this recipe – you won’t even feel the garlicky taste thanks to roasting.
We don’t use a lot of coconut milk in this recipe. We only want to add a bit of exotic note and even more creaminess. Any canned coconut milk will do. Shake it well before opening the can to mix the content.
All this sweetness of beet, sweet potato and coconut milk needs to be balanced. Lemon juice is perfect for that and additionally gives us a boost of vitamin C.
Super Creamy Beet Soup with roasted beetroots and sweet twist.
Creamy Beet SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
Tree superfoods in one simple yet delicious soup – it’s almost too good to be true. Beetroot, sweet potato and garlic are not only super healthy, but in this combination with coconut milk taste just amazing.
4-5 large beetroots
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 large carrot
5-7 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp oil (olive, sunflower, colza)
3 tbsp coconut milk (or more if you like)
3-5 tbsp lemon juice
1.5 l water
salt and pepper
- Peel all your veggies apart from garlic.
- Cut beets in half and wrap them all together tightly with aluminum foil, making one bundle. Wrap garlic cloves in another bundle.
- Place both bundles in air-fryer and bake for 25 minutes in 200°C / 390°F. If you don’t have air fryer you can bake them in oven for about 35 minutes.
- Chop sweet potato and carrot roughly – everything will be blended anyway.
- Heat cooking oil in a soup pot, add carrot and sweet potato and stew covered for 10 minutes.
- When beets and garlic are done take them out of the aluminum foil. Cut beets in smaller pieces and put them in the pot with other veggies.
- Garlic cloves should be soft now and it should be easy to squeeze them out of their peel straight into the pot.
- Add water, cook covered for 15-20 minutes. Check if everything is soft enough to blend.
- Wait for everything to cool down a little. Blend your soup with hand blender adding coconut milk, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Don’t be afraid of the amount of garlic cloves in this recipe. After it’s baked it becomes sweet and loses some of it’s potent smell.
- Don’t blend the soup when it’s super hot. It’s always best to wait for it to cool down a little.
CREAMY BEET SOUP SERVING SUGGESTION
This soup is really full of flavors and rich on its own, so there is no need for extraordinary additions. All we need is to pour a spoonful of coconut milk and sprinkle some cilantro on top.
Other great cream soup recipes:
How to make Creamy Beet Soup
ROAST BEETOOTS AND GARLIC
You might ask why should we roast beetroots instead of cooking them together with carrot and sweet potato. Simply put, we would loose a lot of taste. Roasted beet becomes lightly sweet and very fragrant, so you really want to follow this method.
You can easily do it one day ahead. If you do not have air fryer you can roast your beets in the oven when baking a cake for example.
Everyone knows garlic is super healthy, but not many know that after roasting it becomes lightly sweet and creamy. Yes, roasted garlic is yummy!
STEW CARROT AND SWEET POTATO
While beetroot and garlic are in air fryer or oven we stew sweet potato and carrot with a bit of oil in a covered pot. This will bring their flavors out and prepare them for cooking.
COOK ALL VEGETABLES TO MAKE THEM VERY SOFT
After roasting, the beetroots will become softer, but not enough to blend them smooth. That’s why we need to cook our veggies for around 20 minutes. Check them by mashing one piece of carrot, sweet potato and beet with the fork.
BLEND BEETROOT SOUP SMOOTH
Wait for the soup to cool down a little and blend all ingredients adding lemon juice, coconut milk as well as salt and pepper to taste.
I use hand blender and blend everything in a soup pot. You can use a standing blender – just place all the veggies and part of the liquid in. This way you will blend everything super smooth quickly. After vegetables are creamy put them back in the pot with rest of the liquid.
My favorite step of making this soup – trying and adjusting the taste. Few spoons of coconut milk emphasize sweetness of vegetables, while lemon juice adds balance. If you like your cream soups very sweet you can add more coconut milk.