Simple, delicious and quick to prepare – you surely have all the ingredients.
There are two types of banana loving people. Those who like them soft and ripe and those who prefer them firm, long before their skin develops brown dots.
I fall in the second category.
If you’re anything like me, you’re often left with overripe bananas, which you don’t really fancy eating. And how many smoothies can you drink? Right?
Wondering what to do with an overripe banana? Look no further.
Those Easy Vegan Cookies with Banana & Oats are not only delicious and healthy. They are super quick to prepare and you most likely have all the ingredients in your cupboard.
You can prepare those easy vegan cookies in just over 20 minutes, when the guests that just announced their visit are on the way.
Why try this recipe?
- simple ingredients common in every kitchen
- no special equipment
- ready in less then half an hour
- crispy outside, soft inside
- Dry ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose wheat flour (can be wholemeal)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Wet ingredients
1 overripe banana
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other cooking oil: grapeseed, rapeseed, etc)
dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F. Prepare big baking tray. Line it with baking paper.
- In a big bowl mix all dry ingredients – wheat flour, oats, salt and baking powder.
- Peel your overripe banana and puree it in a smaller bowl using fork. Add sugar and oil, mix thoroughly. Add this point you can add some vanilla extract or vanilla sugar if you like, but it’s not required.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix with a fork until combined (don’t mix too long). Add chocolate chips and nuts. Mix in gently.
- Using two spoons put dough on the baking sheet, forming circles of approx. 4cm /1.5 inch diameter. Flatten them with fork.
Dough is quite sticky, but don’t worry if the cookies are rugged. That’s their beauty.
- Bake for 13 minutes until golden.
Take the cookies out of oven immediately after baking.
Other additions that match perfectly easy vegan cookies
If you don’t have chocolate chips and pecans in your kitchen, but you still need to use this overripe banana you can try following additions:
- desiccated coconut and rum aroma
- 2 tbsp peanut butter and crushed peanuts (if your peanut butter is very oily then you can skip addition of oil)
Tips for the easy vegan cookies recipe
- a cup is 250ml / 8.45 oz
- mashing overripe banana is super easy, but you don’t have to be very accurate, leaving some chunks is ok
- be careful with baking time, if you think your cookies need more than 13 minutes, give them more time, but watch closely. I once managed to burn the edges, just by leaving them 3 minutes longer.
- don’t leave cookies in the oven after baking, as they will get dry.
For even healthier version
With banana and oats, very little fat and just a little sugar those easy vegan cookies are already on a healthier spectrum amongst cookies. If you’d like to tweak them even further towards guilt-free pleasure:
- use wholemeal flour or spelt flour
- use raisins instead of chocolate chips
- add 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Let me know in the comments how you liked this recipe for easy vegan cookies using overripe banana. Maybe you went creative and experimented with some other additions? Let me know, I would love to try your version.