Rich in tomato and herb flavors this sun dried tomato hummus is smooth and so tasty. It is ideal healthy sandwich spread or dip for veggies and crackers.
I’ll be honest with you! living in Cyprus I’m spoiled when it comes to hummus.
In every shop I can buy decent chickpea dip, not to mention amazing classic hummus they serve in tavernas.
But if I want any other version of hummus I need to make it at home. I’ve never seen beetroot hummus or sun dried tomato hummus in any Cypriot restaurant. Classic is the king!
Why is homemade Sun Dried Tomato Hummus so great?
- super healthy bread spread
- easy to prepare in 1 blender bowl
- budget friendly
- nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free
- ideal sandwich spread
- great dip for vegetables or crackers
Ingredients in Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
Chickpeas are fantastic base for dips, pastes and vegan pates. Soft, creamy and so nutritious – chickpeas should be on your p
Make sure to check this Vegan Egg Salad Recipe where chickpeas together with one magic ingredient perfectly mimic texture and taste of eggs.
SUN DRIED TOMATOES
I used good quality Italian sun dried tomatoes. They should be quite soft, so they blend easily into the hummus.
Can I use sun dried tomatoes from oil? Yes, but drain them well. We don’t want our hummus to be oily.
If you don’t have Italian Herb Mix do not worry. You can still make this hummus using whatever herbs you have at hand. You can mix together: oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary and so on. All of those herbs work very well with tomatoes.
Smooth, savory and super healthy Sun Dried Tomato Hummus .
Sun Dried Tomato HummusCourse: DipCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Rich in tomato and herb flavors this sun dried tomato hummus is smooth and so tasty. Ideal sandwich spread or dip.
1 cup chickpeas from jar or can
7-8 large sun dried tomatoes
5 tbsp tahini
1-2 garlic cloves
2 tsp tomato paste (optional)
2 tsp Italian herbs
0.5 tsp salt
1/3 cup ice cold water
1 tbsp chopped sun dried tomato
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Drain chickpeas saving aquafaba (chickpea brine) for other recipes.
- Check if your chickpeas are very soft by squeezing one between your fingers. If it isn’t super easy to mash it, then you may need to cook chickpeas for 15 minutes to make them softer. If they are soft place chickpeas in S-shaped blender (or food processor).
- Cut garlic cloves and sun dried tomatoes in few smaller pieces. Add all ingredients except for water to the blender.
- Blend until all ingredients are combined (2-4 minutes). You may need to stop blending to scrape down whatever remains on the walls of the blender few times.
- Add half of ice cold water and blend again, watching as your hummus becomes super smooth. Check if it’s not too watery and add rest of the water. Blend for 30 seconds more.
- Put your hummus in a nice bowl. Decorate with chopped sun dried tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
- I like to stir some chopped dried tomatoes in to the mixed hummus for interesting texture.
- If you want your hummus super extra smooth chop dried tomatoes thinly and blend longer.
HOW TO SERVE SUN DRIED TOMATO HUMMUS?
I like this hummus so much that I spread it on Homemade Bread and eat it with no other additions.
Few cherry tomatoes, slice of bell pepper and lettuce leaf will make healthy veggie sandwich.
This hummus will also serve perfectly as a dip in company of celery and carrot sticks, crackers or bread sticks.
My favorite bread spreads are:
How to make Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
CHECK IF CHIKPEAS ARE SOFT
I find the chickpeas from the jar softest and best for making hummus. If your chickpeas do not fall easily apart under your fingers you need to cook them until soft.
CHOP GARLIC AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES
Peel garlic and cut them in few pieces. As for the tomatoes the harder they are the finer you should chop them. This way you will save time you spend blending your hummus.
BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS
First we want to combine all the ingredients and make sure they are properly blended. Depending if you like small chunks in your hummus or you want it extra smooth you can shorten or prolong blending process.
Make sure to stop few times to scrape down bits that stay on the walls of the food processor.
ADD ICE COLD WATER
After our ingredients are blended more or less smooth and evenly combined, it is time to add ice cold water and watch the magic happen. As you blend it in, your hummus will become suuuper smooth and delicate. It will also become more spreadable.
DECORATE AND SERVE
I believe that beautiful food tastes better! Even if it’s only for our use I like to put my hummus in a nice bowl and decorate it with chopped sun dried tomatoes and olive oil. You can also sprinkle more herbs on top or some smoked paprika powder.
How to store Sun Dried Tomato Hummus?
You can store homemade hummus for around 5 day in air tight container. Keep it in the fridge. You can theoretically freeze hummus, but it may lose the smoothness. It’s so easy to prepare, that it’s best to make smaller batch more often.