Best remake of Egg Salad thanks to one magic ingredient.
My favorite sandwich spreads are hummus, guacamole and vegan egg salad (not necessarily in this order). Eggs are quite easy to substitute in vegan baking, but what if they are main ingredient of the dish?
Combination of chickpeas structure and black salt flavor makes this salad as close to the real-deal as possible.
Why you need to try this Vegan Egg Salad?
- high in protein and fiber thanks to chickpeas
- real egg-like taste
- great texture
- it’s: egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free
- perfect addition to hearty sandwiches
Check out this recipe for Best Vegan Egg Salad – original texture and flavor in egg-less vegan version.
Vegan Egg-less SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: veganDifficulty: Easy
This Vegan Egg Salad has the original egg taste because of one secret ingredient.
1 jar of chickpeas
1.5-2 tsp black salt (kala namak)*
3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (best vegan mayo)
bunch of spring onions
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 /3 tsp turmeric (optional – just for color)
- Drain chickpeas leaving aquafaba (chickpea brine) aside. Do not throw it away.
- Place chickpeas in a small pot and pour enough water to cover them. Add 1 tsp of black salt and cook for 20-25 minutes. Check if the chickpeas are ready. They need to be very soft. It should be easy to squash them between fingers.
- If you don’t have vegan mayonnaise make it now using aquafaba. Here is the recipe!
- Drain the chickpeas well. While they are still warm add 1tbsp of mayonnaise and 1/2 tsp kala namak salt, mash them using fork until you get mostly smooth texture with some pieces of chickpeas.
- Add the rest of mayonnaise as well as chopped spring onion with chives. Adjust seasoning according to your liking.
- * Kala Namak (black salt) is actually pink 🙂 This magic powder itself smells like Sulphur – bleh, but when added to food in moderation it gives the egg-like flavor. If you never heard about it before I suggest look for it in your local vegan store (or maybe even well equipped supermarket in spices/exotic product section). I will soon add more recipes including black salt powder.
- Don’t be tempted to take a shortcut and blend the chickpeas. The texture is so great thanks to mashing only part of them and that can only be done with fork.
This salad is a perfect spread for sandwiches. I like to serve it on a homemade bread with a leaf of salad and bell pepper.
It will also work well as a filling for tortilla accompanied by chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
If you like this recipe you may also like:
Some recipes are easier to veganize than the others. While substituting egg in a cake or cookies is.. piece of cake, in case of egg salad the task was a bit more complicated. Luckily there are some very useful ingredients like chickpeas that magically transform depending on how you prepare them. In case of this salad we obtained egg texture thanks to chickpeas and flavor thanks to black salt. Isn’t vegan cooking an Alchemy?
How to prepare Vegan Egg Salad
COOK CHICKPEAS WITH KALA NAMAK SALT
Chickpeas from the jar or can should already be soft enough to eat, bot for the purpose of this salad we need them to be super soft and creamy. With this step we want to accomplish two things.
- Make chickpeas creamy and easy to mash
- Give them this deep egg-like flavor, by adding kala namak to cooking water.
When your chickpeas are soft and smell like eggs it’s time to drain and mash them. Don’t leave this task for later, as it’s way easier to do when they are still warm (you can add a bit of mayo now – it also helps).
We mash chickpeas with fork (or potato masher). Don’t be tempted to use blender. We don’t want a mushy texture and we do want small pieces of egg-chickpeas.
ADD REST OF INGREDIENTS AND SEASON
After we are happy with texture of chickpeas we can add rest of ingredients and spices. Feel free to experiment with amount of mayonnaise – add more if you want more spreadable paste-like consistency.
Add a bit more kala namak salt to bring out the egg flavor, but be careful not to overdo it. Remember that after your vegan egg salad rests in the fridge the flavors will come together and enhance.
How to store Vegan Egg Salad
You can store this salad in the air tight container in the fridge for five days. Remember to close the lid tightly if you don’t want your whole fridge smell like eggs 🙂
I first learned about this recipe from this amazing polish vegan Blogger – Jadlonomia. My constant source of inspiration.