Super soft Vegan Orange Cake seducing with fresh citrus flavor – new everyday cake favorite.
When it’s citrus time here in Cyprus oranges and lemons are in such abundance they are laying on the streets. Literally! They are everywhere.
I’m constantly trying to develop new recipes to use delicious, sweet, fragrant oranges.
Why you will love this Vegan Orange Cake recipe?
- bursting with orange flavor
- sweet but refreshing
- easy preparation in one bowl
- egg-free and dairy-free
- perfect recipe for vegan baking beginners
Easy everyday Vegan Orange Cake.
Vegan Orange CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Double orange aroma coming from zest and orange juice make this cake super fragrant and scrumptious.
2 cups all purpose flour
0.5 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup + 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1/3 cup oil (sunflower, grape, colza oil)
2 tsp baking powder
orange zest from 1 orange
1 packet vanilla sugar (optional)
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, baking powder, icing sugar and vanilla sugar (if using).
- Before juicing oranges grate the peel from one of them. Add to dry ingredients and mix in.
- In another bowl or cup mix vegetable oil and orange juice (2/3 cup) – they don’t need to be perfectly combined.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ones and mix with spatula just enough for the dough to come together. Don’t overmix. The dough should be loose and shiny. If you see it’s still dry and hard to stir add 2tbsp juice more.
- Place your dough in a loaf tray lined with baking paper. Even the surface using spoon or spatula. Bake in 180°C / 350°F for 40-45 minutes. Your cake is ready when toothpick you poke inside comes out clean.
ADDITIONS & FROSTINGS
If you like you can add more goodness to your orange cake. While mixing the dough add:
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (like pecan, walnuts, hazelnuts)
- dark chocolate melted with 1tbsp coconut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1 tbso orange juice
Other recipes for easy vegan sweets:
Questions About Vegan Orange Cake Recipe
FRESH ORANGE JUICE
You probably noticed I didn’t write how many oranges to use in this recipe. Each type of oranges is different. I usually use 3 medium size oranges to get 2/3 cup juice. You may need more or less depending on how big or juicy your oranges are.
WHY ICING SUGAR?
I tried this recipe with various sugar types and icing sugar works best, resulting in light fluffy cake. I used brown sugar and the cake turned out ok, but a bit more heavy and wet.
Orange zest is very fragrant ingredient. If you are a big fan of it (hi Mom!) you can use more than written in the recipe. Heck, you can even peel all of the oranges you will use for juice. Be careful however to only peel the orange outer layer. White part may be bitter. I use tiny grater that works great for citrus peel. Regular grater will also do when you use the finest side.