Golden Vegetable Fritters with crispy edges and soft inside. Very easy – ideal for breakfast or light lunch.
Those fritters are a perfect method to serve some healthy portion of veggies to those who are not biggest fans of eating vegetables. Crispy and full of flavour – no child or veggie skeptic will say no to that.
Why you should try crispy vegetable fritters?
- quick and easy to prepare
- clever way to sneak healthy veggies into kids menu
- cheap and easily accessible ingredients
- super crispy outside and soft inside
- you can heat them up later in the oven
Looking for the idea for a healthy light lunch? Crispy Vegetable Fritters are super easy to prepare and delicious. Just add a side salad and your favourite dip and your lunch is ready.
Vegetable Fritters – with Potato, Courgette and CarrotCourse: Breakfast, LunchCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
3 large potatoes
2 medium courgettes
2 medium carrots
1/2 medium onion
4 tbsp potato starch
salt & pepper
your favourite herbs (oregano, thyme, herbs de provence mix, etc)
olive oil for frying
- Peel potatoes and carrots, do NOT peel courgettes – it’s enough to wash them well.
- Shred potatoes and courgette, add 1 tsp of salt and mix them well in a bowl. Leave for few minutes so they release juice. Drain the excess juice well.
- Add shredded carrot, chopped onion, spices and herbs. Mix and try before adding starch. Adjust seasoning,
- When you decide the seasoning is right add potato starch and mix until well combined.
- Brush your frying pan with some olive oil (or other oil you use for frying). Don’t use too much – we don’t want our fritters to be greasy – just crispy.
- Lay portions of the fritters batter with spoon on a well heated pan. Flatten them a little.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes then flip to the other side. They should be golden and crispy on the outside and well cooked inside.
- Serve with dressing of your choice.
- Do not skip draining vegetables from excess water. If you grate them and immediately go further, there is a big chance that your fritters will fall apart when frying.
- For even healthier version you can try and bake them in the oven. 20 minutes in 180°C / 350°F should do. Flip them to the other side after 10 minutes.
- You can substitute potato starch with chickpea flour or all-purpose flour, however potato starch adds to the crispiness.
There are many ways that you can serve those crispy vegetable fritters, but one of my favourite is in company of this Vegan Tzatziki Sauce. The combination is just perfect.
If you add a simple fresh vegetable salad you get a complete dish that is light yet filling!
My favourite Mediterranean salad is made of cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn, red onion, sometimes bell peppers and of course drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.